Hard to believe but yes, there are plenty of West Michigan companies besides Steelcase, Herman Miller, and Haworth who will be participating in this year’s NeoCon show on June 14 through the 16th in Chicago. It always surprises me how one tradeshow in Chicago, year in and year out gets the local West Michigan media into a frenzy about office furniture. I guess it makes sense. According to my informal research through LinkedIn Companies Function – Haworth, Herman Miller, and Steelcase all have over 500+ employees in West Michigan, so 1,500+ total, plus their families, retirees, and the number of people interested in these companies, the list goes on and on.
But I am here to shed some light on the other players in the furniture industry here in West Michigan, that are participating in NeoCon, and I was quite shocked by the size of the list. Here we go:
- 2/90 Sign Systems – Grand Rapids – Sign design, wayfinding, manufacturing of both interior and exterior signs and sign systems, project management, installation and post-installation maintenance
- American Seating – Grand Rapids – Seating from auditorium to stadium to office to education and transportation
- BIFMA International – Grand Rapids – A not-for-profit organization that leads, advocates, informs and develops standards for the North American office and institutional furniture industry
- Compatico – Grand Rapids – Manufactures and supplies new office furniture systems and parts
- Configura – Grand Rapids – HQ in Sweeden, with their US location in Grand Rapids, provides software solutions Commercial furniture
- Flexible Montisa – Plainwell – Features file, storage, and furniture product offerings to facilitate innovative solutions for corporate, educational, and medical institutions.
- FreshFolios – Byron Center – Pre-designed portfolio websites for photographers, interior designers, architects, artists and all members of the creative community who rely on a well sorted portfolio to display their work
- Gibraltar – Zeeland – Metal manufacturing company serving the office, institutional, and hospitality furniture industries
- Gill Industries – Grand Rapids – A full service supplier of engineered, mechanical assemblies to a wide variety of markets such as automotive, furniture and multi-use vehicle markets
- Grand Rapids Chair Company – Grand Rapids – Besides chairs, they also provide tables for commercial environments
- Great Openings – Ludington -Provider of quality metal filing and storage products to the office furniture industry
- Gross Stabil Corp -Coldwater – Manufacturer of casters, bases, and gas cylinders for office chairs
- GT Industries – Byron Center – Foam products, lots and lots of foam based products
- Guilford of Maine – Grand Rapids – Surprisingly they are headquartered in Grand Rapids, they are a textile provider
- Izzy+ – Spring Lake – Officer furniture provider for a variety of industries
- Knu Healthcare – Zeeland – Manufacturer of healthcare furniture, and part of Industrial Woodworking Corporation
- Leland International – Grand Rapids – Contemporary seating and tables manufacturer whose products are built to order and provide project designers the opportunity to customize features such as color, finish, trim, size and cut out design
- Light Corporation – Grand Haven – Design and manufacture fluorescent task lights and ambient light fixtures for office furniture industry and high bay fluorescent fixtures for industry, gymnasiums and retail.
- Nucraft – Comstock Park – Design and manufacture furnishings for conference rooms, lobby and reception areas, private offices, and training areas
- Pulse Design – Grand Rapids – Manufacturer of a desktop connection system with touch-control electronics to hide or reveal the unit on a desk
- Sparkeology – Holland – New line of office furniture developed by Worden in collaboration with Via Design and Square One Design. The products target locations are public buildings’ lobbies and lounges, even libraries because of their flexibility and mobility, and being able to be used in multiple functions and configurations. Plus based on their twitter feed looks like they are going to give away a lot of loot bags. Wonder what is inside- anyone want to get me one?
- Stryker - Kalamazoo – This was an odd one but looks like they are providing some furniture solutions for the healthcare industry
- Symbiote, Inc.- Zeeland – Manufactures laboratory and technical furniture systems emphasizing custom product solutions, looks like they feature ergonomic solutions
- Trendway – Holland – Not officially at NeoCon but they will have something going on in their showroom at the merch. mart. Office furniture manufacture famous for their On Time guarantee.
- VanerumStelter – Grand Rapids – Provider of products and services for their interior environments. Chairs, desks, tables, workstations for all levels of education and for office environments.
- Workstuff – Grand Rapids – Provider of adjustable keyboard systems and ergonomic workplace solutions.
So what do you think? I am really surprised by the number of companies from Zeeland representing. Anyways this just goes to show that there are plenty others in West Michigan besides the Big 3 who are part of the office furniture business (even though some of these companies are not directly related to the industry).
Additionally, here is a short list of other players in the furniture industry who are not attending NeoCon. Do you have any more companies to add to the list?
- Avian Boards – Grand Rapids – Manufacturer of lightweight board to be used for a variety of applications
- Charter House Innovations – Holland – A seating and decor company with a wide range of solutions for a variety of industries. Big focus on sustainability.
- OMT Vehyl - Holland – The result of a merger of two German companies to provide products for the office furniture industry
- RT London – Grand Rapids – Has a emphasis on furniture for the education segment with learning and dorm room solutions
- Worden – Holland – Maker of furniture for the educational and library markets, also behind Sparkeology.